For close on 10 years, each week, much time has gone into previewing, play-listing songs and preparing our “No Hoops Required” feature. However, doing so has come at a cost. To date we have been able to absorb that cost, but we have now reached a point where it is no longer affordable. Also, with each airing of the feature, we have done all we can to promote and tag the artists play-listed on all of our social media platforms. Sadly though, with a few exceptions, there has no acknowledgment from the artists we feature. All of this has forced to consider whether continuing to prepare and air the feature is worth it. After much soul searching, we have come to the conclusion that it is not and have therefore decided to terminate the feature entirely. That said, we will still assess and continue to play-list new artists on their merits, but when we consider play-listing, preference will be given to those artists who have supported us in the past. If you do not hear from us within three weeks, then you can assume that the track has not been play-listed.
That said, and in as much as Zone Radio will continue to all it can to play-list new music, there are a few simple "rules" that need to be followed. Listed below are the "rules" as well as the process that is followed once a song has been accepted and play-listed.
Legalities: (We are not lawyers so we will keep this simple)
It should be noted that Zone Radio generates no revenue from play-listing and showcasing new music. On the contrary, it costs us money to do so. What we do, we do in order to promote the artists and their songs and not for financial gain. As such, and in order to protect ourselves against any claims, the following applies:
- By submitting music to Zone Radio, you automatically confirm that that you own the copyright and publishing rights and that any song/songs submitted is your original music.
- If you are submitting music on behalf of an artist/musician/band, you automatically confirm that you are legally authorized to do so and that you have the authority to agree to our terms.
- You acknowledge that your purpose for submitting music to Zone Radio for air-play is so that the station can expose both the music and artist to its audience so as to solicit support for them in the hopes that listeners will either purchase the music and/or attend live gigs. In exchange for this service you agree to waive any rights to claim any payment of royalties from Zone Radio directly or any of the performance rights organizations, in any of the countries involved.
- You acknowledge that, should one be required, an official waiver form can be sent to you via a request sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and that in the absence of such a request, you accept the conditions stated in points 1, 2 & 3 above.
- In the main, Zone Radio is an adult contemporary music station and as such we do not play-list Hip-Hop, Rap, House, EDM Afro Pop or Urban Pop music.
- No songs containing explicit language will be considered for play-listing.
- The final decision regarding the songs that are selected to be play-listed rests with Zone Radio.
- We do not make use of any download platforms e.g. Dropbox, YouSendIt etc.
- We only play-list a single song per artist at a time, so there is no point in sending multiple tracks or complete albums to us. Simply send the track to be considered for play-listing. Artists are most welcome to submit further songs once the initial submission has been accepted. However, we suggest that these are spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart. This allows us to manage them correctly and ensure that nothing slips through the tracks.
- All songs sent so us must be correctly labeled i.e. “Artist Name” – “Song Title”
- An email containing the following three elements should be sent to email@example.com
- An Mp3 track
- A short English biography – No more than a paragraph contained in the body of the email or in a Microsoft Word document.
- All social media links. (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram)
Should any of the first three elements be missing, the submission will not be considered.
Lead Time: Where music submissions are concerned, we operate strictly on a “first come first served basis. On average we receive between 20 to 35 submissions daily and because we try to accommodate all those that comply with the submission process as outlined above, it can take up to three/four weeks before we are able to respond or acknowledge receipt of submissions. If you have not heard from us within this time-frame, it would be safe to assume that the song has not been accepted.
Acceptance and air-play: Once a song has been accepted, artists can expect the following:
- An email will be sent per return email.
- The song will be added to the Zone Radio rotation for a period of +/- 4 weeks.
- At the sole discretion of the presenter, the song may be featured/showcased on the Tuesday evening SA & Indie Music Zone.
Artist Feedback & Analysis: Once a song has been accepted, we provide an email as mentioned above. Aside from that we do not provide any further feedback or analysis regarding the performance of any of the play-listed songs.
Any requests for interviews need to be emailed to Janet Scanlon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we will only consider conducting interviews with musicians and bands that are play-listed on Zone Radio.
If you have any queries please email email@example.com